Day seven

 
I set off late today (11:00) after shopping at Intermarche and finished riding in the dark at 21:30 having failed to reach an intended campsite before they closed at 19:00. The campsite was just before Besancon and seemed to be the only one. My legs felt stronger today and I managed a record 76km even if unintended. I rode through Besancon with my lights on as it was already dark and it looked like my kind of town. Had I seen a hotel I would have stopped but there were none on my route and so I had to find somewhere to wildcamp again. No time to edit the photos or post much more tonight so more tomorrow hopefully. The route today was the finest yet and I will post more details and photos when I get a chance. The photo below is just one sample of a very picturesque ride today.
 

Next day:

The wild camp was pretty awful on the city outskirts, next to a main road and tram line. I set up the tent in the dark on a grassy spot next to what looked like a park and not wishing to attract undue attention  reframed from using my head torch. As a result the long grass hid quite a slope and a huge hole where my back was when lying down. Needless to say my sleep was fitful as I regularly slid down towards my feet and awoke at 5:00 thinking it was light but it was just street lights. I was away by 7:30 and reached my intended campsite mid afternoon. It's now 17:00 and I am still waiting for my photos to download and have only just got the Internet half working. It takes about 20 minutes to download one photo, so I really wonder whether this blog is really worth doing. It sucks a lot of energy out of me, more than cycling. In fact the photos do not seem to be downloading at all which is really annoying.

Comments

  1. Hi Jan, looks like the trip is going well so far - hope it isn’t too gruelling and the knees are standing up to the strain! Don’t forget to carb load to keep up those energy levels!. Claire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claire the biggest stress is without doubt blogging and the Internet. Google fighting with Safari making posts almost impossible. Considered abandoning the blog today permanently. Now I am in new campsite but as usual there are pages of conditions in French, which everyone has to read and agree to before you can connect. Then Safari says it's not secure and refuses the connection. It's all a bit of a joke. I sit down to post a couple of photos and some text and spend the next two hours just trying to get it to work!

      Otherwise I have finally caught up with the sun and today with perfect sunshine my Chinese solar panels stopped working! Typical built in obsolescence by these cheap and nasty Chinese products. Never again. The Japanese destroyed the western markets by selling their products dirt cheap and earning money on the exorbitant replacement parts. A similar tactic.

      Feeling fit anyway next stop Chalon sur Saone tomorrow.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts