Day forty four

 

A millpond sea and beyond mussel nets maybe.

I leave the two-star hotel in Almeria at 10:00 after single-handedly squeezing the bike into the small lift, which was only possible by up-ending the bike so that the front wheel almost touched the lift ceiling cover. I hoped they'd not notice the tyre marks on the lift mirror, particularly as I had to explain to the receptionist earlier that it was honey that I had spilled onto their TV remote. 

I never watch the TV in hotels now as none of them show other European channels or CNN, BBC etc. Times have changed, you used to be able to get most EU channels in their own language. We seem to be regressing. Certainly that is the case in the cheaper hotels and even top hotels like B&B hotels you have to login in to see anything other than the Spanish channels. Not that I ever have time to watch TV anyway but a bit of news in English would be nice. Like what's happening in Palma.

The day begins, after a cafe con leche and tomato tostados (2.40 euros), with a pleasant ride along the coast and the deep blue, dead calm sea. It is particularly hot already today as there is little or no cloud cover. The route then turns inland and I am confronted by the plastic wrapped Murcian landscape again. It's a bit of  shock as I had hoped that was all behind me, but little did I know.

Plastic wrapped Murcian landscape from the mountains to the sea, for several hundred kilometers and construction work goes on.

I have a Kebab for lunch with fresh lettuce and tomato and a mango juice. It was very good I must say. This area looks like 90% of the population are black African and many ride bikes. Eventually there is a very good cycle path running the entire length of the plastic landscape obviously created to serve the greenhouse workers and keep things super efficient.

I ride alongside the plastic landscape all day with it on my right-hand side as I head for Balanegra where I hope to find hotel for the night. As far as the eyes can see, both in front and behind, is white plastic. It should be an easy 50km run and I hope it will be as my bum is still complaining from yesterday. When I reach Balanegra late in the afternoon Google offers no hotels nearby or campsites. I begin to wonder why I have not been taken down into the town and onto the coast. 

I reprogram Maps.me for Motril and cycle on the N340a further for a while noting the km markers are now reading 397km to Cadiz -200km means only 197km to Fuengirola. However before completely leaving Balanegra I decide to ride down to the seafront hoping to find a hotel. As I descend towards the sea I note that on both sides the plastic wrapped landscape continues down to the beach. When I reach the beach the way forward towards Motril is blocked by the plastic constructions that reaches the sea and the same in the opposite direction. Balanegra is encased in plastic, no wonder I was taken around it.

Balanegra swamped by white plastic, my last view of it as I headed on for Motril.

I resign myself to riding on towards Motril but with no hope of reaching it today. Maybe I will have to wild camp or spend the night at a Repsol station, where I can at least eat, have a wash and pee. It's not a pleasant thought but better than being stuck in the outback without water. 

Absorbed in my own little world I almost pass a hotel on the road. I can hardly believe it as look up and see the hotel sign. I've hit the jackpot tonight, a two-star hotel for 25 euros with a massive room, double bed and bar next door. With just 60km to Motril it is perfect for tomorrow's run. I was up till 01:00 last night doing the blog so tonight I will be able to get an early night.

Comments

  1. Wow! Only 197km left to Fuengi!!! Almost there now....pedal faster :-)
    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually only 140km now, but some serious hills to climb tomorrow and today was no joke. After Malaga it gets easier, hopefully.😂🌈😎

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts