Day forty

 

Abandoned derelict buildings are a common sight in the outback.

I leave the appropriately named Hostal el Retiro in Dolores just after 9:00 to finish the final stretch to Murcia. It's a gentle but slow uphill ride all the way. I stop at a market in Dolores beforehand and buy churros with a cup of chocolate for breakfast, not my normal choice but I hope it will give me energy for the 46km climb. Later I stop for a cafe con leche and then visit Lidl for water and some M&Ms. Maps.me soon has me riding a dirt track again but after several kilometers I notice a smooth side road running parallel and after checking that they meet up some kilometers ahead I decide come off the dirt track and descend a bank onto the road.

Left photo: Maps.me dirt track route and right photo: my choice, a smooth road.

Once on the road my speed increases dramatically and my fear of a puncture is lessened, I also no longer have to suffer dust or being shaken to bits by the dirt track's uneven surface. How Maps.me chooses its routes is a complete mystery to me, especially as it is surprisingly accurate and able to determine if you are riding on a road or a cycle path next to the road. Apart from a few bikers riding expensive mountain bikes with suspension I am sure 80% of bikers would choose the road.

Cafe society in Murcia looked interesting and I stopped at Smooy for a yoghurt-melon ice smoothie.

15km outside of Murcia I suddenly join the EV8 and it is a perfectly smooth cycle path that takes me the rest of the way into Murcia. It's a fine example of how a cycle path should be and although hardly more than a meter wide, it is all that is needed outside of a city. I arrive in Murcia at 14:00 with a view to finding somewhere nearby to stay overnight as I need to prepare myself physically and mentally for the days ahead, which entails climbs that I do not relish, en route to Almeria. After that the worst parts of this journey should be over. I try two pensions but both are 'complet' but not far way I find a 2-star hotel for the same price. I looked up budget hotels on Google and it gave much better results than Booking.com, it also allows you to check directions before booking, which Booking.com does not allow. I have already saved 4 euros by not using Booking.com. Genius level 2, 30% discount, my arse!


A church in the centre of Murcia, tomorrow the cathedral.

After almost 50kms today I finish at 16:00 hoping it will give me more time to relax and maybe even allow me time to visit the local area. Normally I would have gone on further till around 18:00 preferring to be outside the city but places to stay looked sparse and my route for tomorrow was still not clear. After I have showered, done the blog and had something to eat the day is usually over and I am ready for bed. Rarely do I get to bed before 23:00.

Comments

  1. Good luck with the next stretch, does look tough, but every km gets you closer ……..hope you enjoyed Murcia and had a tast evening meal😎

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Much needed ... I had a Mercadona cheese burger would you believe, (3 euros) and it was a whole lot better than McDonalds and Burgerking. Bought to try on the spur of the moment, plucked out of an oven. (sort of pick and go) What will they think of next.:))

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts